Better World Info / Links for a Better World
A unique resource & powerful tool for people who want to make this world a better place.
Better World Info is a central information hub covering topics related to our future, such as peace, human rights, the environment, and social justice.
We are a non-profit participatory website providing a user-friendly, comprehensive internet directory with over 450,000 curated links on global affairs.
Better World Info is a unique resource, and powerful tool for people who want to make this place a better world. Our interactive platform allows you to add your own links, share your knowledge, and learn from others.
Formerly Better World Links, we are similar to a Google directory for citizens and NGOs and work like a Wikipedia for links. In both cases we aim to be better, and in fact we most often are. Help us build a better future - one link at a time.
For our German site visit Bessere Welt Info.
Over 450,000 organised links in English and German on the following global topics:
- Peace, Human Rights, Environment
- One World, Social Justice, Sustainability
- Politics, Media, Conflict Regions, Military
- Health, Women, Men, Youth, Education, Religion
- Economics, Globalization, Culture, Exemplary People
- And many more issues affecting our future
- Better World Info is the leading website of its kind.
- We regard our service as a one-stop knowledge and action network.
- Up-to-date, reliable, hand-picked links - free and without advertising!
- Unlike Google, Facebook and Twitter your private data is not collected and used for commercial purposes and targeted ads. There is no corporate media dominance, fake news, echo chambers, filter bubbles or hate speech.
- Our links are regularly checked and have an error rate of less than 2%.
- We offer 294,020 links in English and 161,310 links in German.
- You can add links, which after vetting, will remain for all users to benefit from.
Better World Info recognises the profound need for accurate information about the world's most pressing issues which will shape our future. We aim to provide free access to thousands of carefully selected links regarding global current affairs, in order to help people make informed decisions, and affect positive change in this world.
Better World Info aims to make an important contribution to the global internet community, providing essential information so we can leave our children with a world worth living for, in the spirit of Mahatma Gandhi, Albert Schweitzer, Martin Luther King, Petra Kelly, and the Dalai Lama.
"Many small people, who in many small places, do little things that can alter the face of the world"
- Inform yourself about important topics and share them with your peers.
- See suggestions from others, and share your own ideas or experiences.
- Investigate background information for a project, a lecture, an essay or an article.
- You may also use this resource for cross-references in articles and linking collections.
- Advance and promote your own project for a better world.
- Make new contacts, seek out collaborators and establish alliances.
- People who want to make a difference and have a positive effect on the world.
- Ordinary citizens, parents and families, and in particular the young generation.
- Teachers, professors, lecturers and students.
- Ideal as an internet portal for schools, universities, and adult education centres.
- Committed people, action groups, civil society groups and movements.
- Organizations (NGOs), and in particular campaigners.
- Journalists, reporters, editors and writers.
- Decision makers in politics, religion, science, education, the media, industry and the military.
- People from all over the world, from every religion, crede, and ethnic group.
We want to help you create a better world by contributing easy access to free, reliable, and impartial information. We aim to facilitate the sharing of knowledge, and networking of activists and campaigners.
- To help avoid duplication of internet research, thereby saving time and money for users.
To provide access to important information that does not correspond to published opinion: in particular, critical background information on current problems.
To direct the attention of people worldwide towards positive ideas, organizations, projects, actions and campaigns. As well as highlighting questionable or unacceptable state of affairs.
To bring like-minded and committed people together from all over the world, helping them overcome their isolation and encourage common local, or international initiatives.
To help people work towards global change and show them that they are not alone, and can make a difference.
To encourage people to contact decision makers, politicians, parties, journalists, and the media to activate change.
To be a counterbalance for the general lack of awareness, as well as non-informative or incorrect hushed up information put out by the corporate media.
To contribute to expanding horizons and forming democratic opinions, as well as reducing ignorance, prejudice and enemy images.
To create counter-publicity to the lobbyists in commerce and the military around the world, as well as some propaganda machines of governments, industry and media tycoons.
To promote peace, disarmament, non-violence, human rights, development in the southern hemisphere, environmental protection, sustainable development, democracy, freedom of opinion and expression, social justice, truth, tolerance, benevolence, compassion, and joy of life, as well as positive thinking, behaviour and actions.
- To protest against war, the mad desire to possess more arms and weapons of mass destruction, violence and terror, dictatorships, abuse of power, greed, exploitation, violation of human rights, environmental pollution, destruction of the foundations of life, the wasting of tax-payers' money, brainwashing, inaction and resignation.
Man penetrates his environment by means of his senses and his strength of intellect, thus making new discoveries about the universe. (German woodcut 16th Century)
Better World Info's objective is to provide the general public with a tool to be able to comprehensively inform themselves, and make a positive contribution towards a better world for everyone.
Our service is free of charge, free of advertising and accessible to all.
We aim to include links which are:
- up-to-date, informative and independent
- balanced, honest and for the common good
- violence-free, environmentally friendly and socially compatible
- non-dogmatic and free of propaganda and lies
- non-commercial or non-profit-making
- not racist or sexist
- optimistic and encouraging
- preferably free from advertising
Things to consider
- We are not perfect! In fact, we welcome constructive criticism and suggestions. Please Contact Us.
- We do not cover topics related to consumption (luxury goods, cars, travel, beauty, fashion and shopping) and entertainment (sports, celebrities, sex, games, movies and TV shows) as they are provided by large commercial businesses.
- We regard ourselves as a 'voice' for those who have none. Including the poor, the vulnerable, minorities, and individuals seeking worldwide peace.
- The wealthy and powerful of this world do not need our assistance. They already possess significant access to, and control of commercial media and our governments. On the other hand, we endeavour to give both sides an opportunity to be heard.
- We have, therefore, included some links, even though they do not follow the guidelines specified above. These are mainly from governments, political parties, the military and industrial companies. They are often primarily concerned with maintaining power, getting more influence and material gain. Nevertheless, they are listed because they add a different point of view, and to help the public make informed opinions and decisions. Additionally, they are included to help and encourage people to make contact with politicians and other decision makers.
Better World Info began in 1996 as the German website 'Norbert's Bookmarks for a Better World'.
This unique collection of links to interesting articles and websites was the brainchild of socially-committed German citizen and physician, Norbert.
"Medicine is a social science,
and politics is nothing else but medicine on a large scale."
Rudolf Virchow (1848)
The directory expanded from an initial 300 links to over 450,000 links we have today. In 2003 it was renamed 'Better World Links', then in 2007 the website was re-launched in Drupal 8 with a new and interactive design as 'Better World Links'. Most recently, in June 2019 the site was relaunched under the new name 'Better World Info' and in January 2022 Drupal 9 was established.
Better World Info was created in 1996, before the popularity of search engines and social media dominance. Google was the earliest in 1998, followed by Wikipedia in 2001, Facebook in 2004 and YouTube in 2005. Although massively successful, they do not always offer the quality and objectivity of information that we hope to provide. In addition they sell our data. See FAQ for further information on why we need Better World Info.
Norbert's aim was, and still very much is to make an important contribution to the global internet community, providing access to pertinent information so that our common vision for a better world can be realised. The site continues to be expanded and updated with the help of volunteers, experts, and people like yourself.
"Many small people who in many small places do little things that can alter the face of the world"
(a symbol used by but not a part of Better World Info)
Copyright & Contact: Ev. Kirchengemeinde Rotenburg a. d. Fulda,
Martin-Luther-Kirche, Martin-Luther-Str. 20, D-36199 Rotenburg a. d. Fulda
Tel. 0049-6623-2797, E-Mail: pfarramt [dot] rotenburg2-sued [at] ekkw [dot] de (subject: Postkarte%20-%20Viele%20kleine%20Leute)
- Better World Info are recommended by the International Peace Bureau (IPB) and the United Nations Association UNA Westminster (UK).
- In 1999 and 2000 Better World Links received the Comenius Quality Seal of the German Society for Education and Information (GPI).
- We have a long-standing cooperation with the Right Livelihood Award (RLA) whereby we feature all the laureates and their work.
- Better World Info has also been endorsed by Vijay Mehta (UK), Mairead Maguire (UK), and Frederik de Klerk (South Africa).
- Better World Links is highlighted by the Right Livelihood Award (RLA), PeaceNews (WRI), Traprock Peace Center (USA), Irwin Abrams (Quaker), Michael Moore (USA), and Uniting for Peace (UK).
Irwin Abrams (Quaker)
"Large, varied site by German physician with thousands of links concerning issues such as Economics, Education, the Environment, Human Rights, Peace, Politics, Religion, and Social Justice. An exceptional resource."
Vijay Mehta (Uniting for Peace)
"Better World Info encourages and promotes nonviolent alternative solutions for lasting peace and more effective change. Congratulations for building a fantastic website which is very informative and useful for peace activists all around the world."
FW de Klerk (Global Leadership Foundation)
"As it grows it will increasingly become a prime site for those who write, and those who seek, articles on the key topics of 'peace' and 'humanitarian issues', and it underlines the importance of the internet and social media for peace campaigning.”
Fredrik Heffermehl (Nobel Peace Prize Watch)
"So great to see that you have brought your unique service to humanity to a new level by a remake of the website. A terrific tool for civil society."
Jan Oberg (Transnational Foundation for Peace and Future Research)
"All the sources you can ever need... People often ask me where they can get reliable information about our world - now they can't trust most of the mainstream media. HERE is the answer and only a fool would ignore such a site..."
This is what you can do:
- Add links yourself. Help us improve Better World Info - You can recommend new links and inform us of expired or unsuitable links.
- Share your knowledge and expertise with others - This applies in particular to experts, journalists, scientists and NGO campaigners, who can help us to improve.
- Volunteer. Send us an email if you want to help us keep our links up-to-date. With just a few hours per week, YOU can make a real difference for thousands of people who also want to make this world a better place.
- Work with us. Under special circumstances, we can offer to pay a compensation from 250 to 500 Euros per month in the case of good cooperation.
- We just relaunched with Drupal 9 as CMS and therefore plan to hire a part-time journalist or blogger - Texts & images, internet research & link maintenance, social media & outreach, newsletter & blog. Good English is essential; NGO experience advantageous. - You can work from the comfort of your home, flexible working times, remuneration negotiable, freelance preferred, long-term perspective offered. - Important: Interest in our topics, experience, passion, dedication & intelligence. - If you want to work with us towards a better world, write us an E-Mail and include your resume.
- Donate. This enables us to improve the quality and quantity of our links, and implement more effective publicity and marketing strategies.
How to spread the word:
- Recommend us to your friends, acquaintances and other activists! - So that other people can also use our service. Such an initiative depends entirely on the grassroots for this, because the big media and organizations are generally not interested.
- Use Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, SMS, or e-mail and inform your friends and other engaged people about us. - Important: Link Better World Info on your homepage or blog!
- Print our information leaflet and display it on your notice board at work or in your community.
- Order business cards or download small flyers and help distribute them around your university, school, office, library and community.
- Ask your organization, school, or university magazine to publish our information leaflet and to refer to betterworld.info as a great resource for current affairs topics.
- Consider writing about Better World Info on your blog, or notifying your local newspaper or radio station about us.
- Add a link to betterworld.info on your homepage or blog via our banner logo. Click here and then save it as a JPG to download and link to our website.
- Translate. Help us to translate our "About us" text into Spanish, French, Russian or other languages. Better still, create Better World Info in your language - Email us to learn how.
- Share this with people of influence. Personalities in public life such as musicians, celebrities, sportsmen, politicians, writers, people from the media - YOU can make an important contribution in helping to make Better World Info well-known and popular.
We love to hear from you! Your assistance, feedback and suggestions for improvements are always very welcome - Contact us.