Welcome to Better World Info!
A unique resource & powerful tool for people who want to make this world a better place.
Better World Info is a central information hub for peace, human rights, the environment, one world issues, climate, women, democracy and social movements worldwide, among others. It is the relaunch of Better World Links.
We are a non-profit participatory website providing an easy-to-use, comprehensive internet directory. We offer quick and easy access to over 275,000 curated links on global current affairs topics and much more.
Better World Info is a unique resource & powerful tool for people who want to make this place a better world!
All of this in one dynamic & interactive platform with links suggested by people like you, for you!
We are similar to a Google directory for citizens & NGOs and work like a Wikipedia for links. In both cases we aim to be better and in fact we most often are.
Look no further - avoid the internet jungle! & Help build a better future ... - one link at a time!
*** Tip: Visit also our German website Bessere Welt Info ! ***
Over 275,000 well-organised links in English & German on the following global topics:
- Peace, Human Rights, Environment
- One World, Social Justice, Sustainability
- Conflict Regions, Military, Culture, Health
- Women, Men, Youth, Education, Religion
- Economics, Globalization, Politics, Media
- And many more issues affecting our future
- Better World Info is the leading website of its kind.
- Up-to-date, balanced, hand-picked links - free of charge and without advertising!
- Unlike Google, Facebook, Twitter & Co we do not collect your private data for commercial purposes and targeted ads. We are also free of corporate media dominance, fake news, echo chambers, filter bubbles and hateful speech.
- A collection of links with an error rate of less than 2% ensured by regular checks.
- We offer over 186,230 English and over 108,720 German carefully selected links.
- You can add a new link which is updated immediately on our website and stays after vetting.
- Better World Info is a central information hub & powerful tool for people who want to make this place a better world! - We regard our service as a knowledge and action network. We offer a participatory & interactive platform as a one-stop shop.
- Our MISSION: Better World Info aims to provide you with a broad and balanced blend of over 275,000 carefully selected free links to global current affairs and other related topics, in order to help you make informed decisions and affect positive change in this world.
- Our VISION: Better World Info aims to leave our children with a world worth living for, in the spirit of Mahatma Gandhi, Albert Schweitzer, Martin Luther King, Petra Kelly, and the Dalai Lama.
"Many small people who in many small places do little things that can alter the face of the world"
What you can do
- Effectively advance and promote your project for a better world.
- Get suggestions from others and share your own ideas or experiences.
- Inform yourself about important topics and share them with interested parties.
- Investigate background information for a project, a lecture, an essay or an article. Also use this resource for cross-references in articles and linking collections.
- Make new contacts, look for collaborators and establish alliances.
Who uses Better World Info
- People who want to make a difference and have a positive effect on the world.
- Ordinary citizens, parents and families, and in particular pupils and students.
- Ideal as an internet portal for schools, universities, and adult education centres.
- Committed people, action groups, civil society groups and movements.
- Organizations (NGOs), and in particular campaigners.
- Journalists, reporters and editors.
- Teachers, writers, artists and intellectuals.
- Decision makers in politics, religion, science, education, the media, industry and the military.
- People from all over the world, from every religion, crede, and ethnic group.
To contribute to free quality information with the objective of creating a better world.
To facilitate sharing of information and the networking of activists & campaigners.
- To help avoid duplication of internet research, thereby saving time and money for users.
To provide access to important information that does not correspond to published opinion: in particular, critical background information on current problems.
To direct the attention of people world wide towards good ideas, organizations, actions and campaigns. Also to highlight questionable or unacceptable state of affairs.
To bring like-minded and committed people together from all over the world, helping them overcome their isolation and encourage common local or international initiatives.
To help people work towards global change and show them that they are not alone and can make a difference.
To encourage people to make contact with decision makers, politicians, parties, journalists and the media.
To be a counterbalance for the general lack of awareness, as well as non-informative or incorrect information put out by the corporate media: in particular stories hushed up by the media.
To contribute to expanding horizons and forming democratic opinions, as well as reducing ignorance, prejudice and enemy images.
To create counter-publicity to the lobbyists in commerce and the military around the world, as well as the propaganda machines of governments, industry and media tycoons.
To promote peace, disarmament, non-violence, human rights, development in the southern hemisphere, environmental protection, sustainable development, democracy, freedom of opinion and expression, social justice, truth, tolerance, benevolence, compassion, and joy of life, as well as positive thinking and action.
- To protest against war, the mad desire to possess more arms and weapons of mass destruction, violence and terror, dictatorships, abuse of power, greed, exploitation, violation of human rights, environmental pollution, destruction of the foundations of life, wasting of tax-payers' money, brainwashing, inaction and resignation.
Man penetrates his environment by means of his senses and his strength of intellect, thus making new discoveries about the universe. (German woodcut 16th Century)
Better World Info's objective is to provide the general public with a tool to be able to comprehensively inform themselves and make a positive contribution towards a better world for everyone.
Our service is free of charge, free of advertising and accessible to all.
We aim to include links which are:
- up-to-date, informative and independent
- balanced, honest and for the common good
- violence-free, environmentally friendly and socially compatible
- non-dogmatic and free of propaganda and lies
- non-commercial or non-profit-making
- not racist nor sexist
- optimistic and encouraging
- preferably free from advertising
- We are not perfect! Therefore, we are always grateful for constructive criticism and suggestions. Please: Contact Us.
- We do not cover topics related to consumption (luxury goods, cars, travel, beauty, fashion and shopping) and entertainment (sports, celebrities, sex, games, movies and TV shows) as they are provided by large commercial businesses.
- We regard ourselves as a 'voice' for the poor, the vulnerable, minorities, and for those seeking worldwide peace.
- The big, mighty and rich people of this world do not need our assistance because they have significant access to and control of the regular commercial media. On the other hand, we endeavour to give the opposite side an opportunity to be heard.
- We have, therefore, included some links, even though they do not follow the guidelines specified above. These are mainly from governments, political parties, the military and industrial companies, which are primarily concerned with maintaining power, getting more influence and material gain. Nevertheless, they are listed because we think they are important, as they add a different point of view, and help the public make informed opinions and decisions. In addition, they are included to help and encourage people to make contact with politicians and other decision makers.
Better World Info began as the German website 'Norbert's Bookmarks for a Better World' in 1996.
This unique collection of links to interesting articles and websites was the brainchild of socially-committed German citizen and physician, Norbert.
"Medicine is a social science,
and politics is nothing else but medicine on a large scale."
Rudolf Virchow (1848)
The directory grew and grew from an initial 300 links to the 275,000 links it is today. In 2003 it was renamed 'Better World Links' and in 2007 the website was re-launched with a new and interactive design as 'Better World Links'. Another full relaunch took place in June 2019 under the new name 'Better World Info'.
Norbert's aim was and still very much is: to make an important contribution to the global internet community, providing access to pertinent information so that our common vision for a better world can be realised. The site is constantly being expanded and updated with the help of volunteers, experts and people like yourself.
"Many small people who in many small places do little things that can alter the face of the world"
(a symbol used by but not a part of Better World Info)
Copyright & Contact: Martin-Luther-Kirche,
Martin-Luther-Str. 20, 36199 Rotenburg a. d. Fulda
Tel. 0049-6623-2797, Fax: 0049-6623-918783,
E-Mail: lutherkirche [dot] rotenburg [at] ekkw [dot] de (subject: Postkarte%20-%20Viele%20kleine%20Leute)
- Better World Info are recommended by the International Peace Bureau (IPB) and the United Nations Association UNA Westminster (UK).
- Already in 1999 and 2000 Better World Links received the Comenius Quality Seal of the German Society for Education and Information (GPI).
- With the Right Livelihood Award (RLA) we have a long-standing cooperation whereby we feature all the laureates and their work.
- Better World Info has also been endorsed by Vijay Mehta (UK), Mairead Maguire (UK), and Frederik de Klerk (South Africa).
- Better World Links is mentioned by the Right Livelihood Award (RLA), PeaceNews (WRI), Traprock Peace Center (USA), Irwin Abrams (Quaker), Michael Moore (USA), and Uniting for Peace (UK).
Irwin Abrams (Quaker)
"Large, varied site by German physician with thousands of links concerning issues such as Economics, Education, the Environment, Human Rights, Peace, Politics, Religion, and Social Justice. An exceptional resource."
Vijay Mehta (Uniting for Peace)
"Better World Info encourages and promotes nonviolent alternative solutions for lasting peace and more effective change. Congratulations for building a fantastic website which is very informative and useful for peace activists all around the world."
FW de Klerk (Global Leadership Foundation)
"As it grows it will increasingly become a prime site for those who write, and those who seek, articles on the key topics of 'peace' and 'humanitarian issues', and it underlines the importance of the internet and social media for peace campaigning.”
Fredrik Heffermehl (Nobel Peace Prize Watch)
"So great to see that you have brought your unique service to humanity to a new level by a remake of the website. A terrific tool for civil society."
Jan Oberg (Transnational Foundation for Peace and Future Research)
All the sources you can ever need... People often ask me where they can get reliable information about our world - now they can't trust most of the mainstream media. HERE is the answer and only a fool would ignore such a site...
This is what you can do:
- Add links yourself. Help us improve Better World Info! - Recommend new links and inform us of those that no longer exist, or that should be deleted and why. Be sure to let us know if an internet page promotes violence or spreads lies.
- Share your knowledge and know-how with others! - This applies in particular to experts, journalists, scientists and NGO campaigners, who can help us make improvements.
- We just relaunched with Drupal 8 as CMS and therefore hire two part-time coworkers / journalists! - Short texts & images, internet research & link maintenance, social media & outreach, newsletter & perhaps blog. Good English is essential; NGO experience advantageous. - You can work from the comfort of your home, flexible working times, remuneration negotiable, freelance preferred, long-term perspective offered. - Important: Interest in our topics, passion, a heart & a brain. - If you want to work with us towards a better world, write us an E-Mail; preferable with a short resume.
- Volunteer. Send us an email if you want to help us keep our links up-to-date. With only a few hours per week, YOU can make a real difference for thousands of people who also want to make this world a better place.
- Work with us. Under special circumstances, we can offer to pay a compensation from 250 to 1.500 Euros per month in the case of good cooperation.
- Donate. This enables us to improve the quality of our links and implement more effective publicity and marketing strategies.
How to spread the word:
- Recommend us to your friends!
- Use Twitter, Facebook, WhatsApp, SMS, or e-mail to tell your friends and other people about us.
- Print our information leaflet and hang it on notice boards at your work or in your community.
- Order business cards or download small flyers and help distribute them around your university, school, office, library and community.
- Ask your organization, school, or university magazine to publish our information leaflet and to refer to betterworld.info as a great resource for current affairs topics.
- Consider writing about Better World Info on your blog or notifying your local newspaper or radio station about us.
- Add a link to Better World Info on your homepage or blog via our banner logo. Click here and then save it as a JPG to download and link to our website.
- Translate. Help us to translate our "About us" text into Spanish, French, Russian or other languages. Create Better World Info in Spanish, French, Russian, etc. - Email us to learn how.
- Tell people about us. Personalities in public life - musicians, celebrities, sportsmen, politicians, writers, people from the media - YOU all can make an important contribution in helping to make Better World Info well-known and popular.
Your assistance, feedback and suggestions for improvements are always very welcome!
Write us an E-mail.